My kids....My heart

My kids....My heart

Friday, July 9, 2010

Back To School Time....

Mid July doesn’t mean back to school time to many people, but it always does to me. This will be the sixteenth time I will be a part of an amazing team of people welcoming beautiful little faces to a brand new school year. I arrived on the campus of Conchos School on August 24, 1994 - three days in to the school year. It may seem strange that I remember the exact date but I will never forget it. August 24th is my grandmother’s birthday and I am quite sure that she is the guiding force that led me to Conchos School.

Here I sit sixteen years later, readying myself for another fresh new start. The very best thing about working in the school environment is that every year it is the same and every year it is so different. In a way, it’s like getting a new job every year. This year, we will welcome a few new faces to our staff. I pray that they love our kids and community as if both were their very own. I hope that they chose the field of teaching because their hearts told them to. I trust that they believe they are difference makers because indeed they are.

Today is Friday, July 9th. It's hard to believe that it has been five weeks since I pulled out of the school parking lot with a huge smile plastered all over my face like I had a secret nobody else knew. Ahhh, beautiful summer break! I guess all good things really do come to an end.

Two more days and summer break will feel like ancient history. Soon enough our classrooms will be filled with laughter, loud voices, a little bit of drama, a whole bunch of beautiful little faces and, most importantly, our future.

1 comment:

Misty Holt said...

Reading this made me feel a little anxious for school to start, but then a little hesitant too. I too love the first couple of weeks of school. The anticipation of the unknown, the students, new rules, new curriculum, etc. But with that excitement comes a little sadness that it will be another year until you have some relief of the constant pressure that the school environment places on a person. But, then, I think about the amazing things that happen in a school year... learning, a-ha moments with students, developing a relationship of "family" in my classroom,another yearbook :), Halloween, Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Christmas, Spring Break, Birthdays, Easter, AIMS week, Celebrations of all, the last day of school, and many others.
And I guess because of all that, my life continues to fly by.