My kids....My heart

My kids....My heart

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Britt and Stefanie,

I was thinking about you both this morning as Jes walked by my room. I know that you both are feeling so ready to have your babies. I remember thinking the last month of each of my pregnancies that it was taking forever! I wish I could give you the gift of knowledge, of knowing how every single moment of your pregnancy is precious and that you will never in your life have this time again. You see, right now you are perfectly connected to this baby. This baby is yours. Shortly after the moment of birth, your child starts becoming its own independent person and given all the right opportunities in life that process will continue. That is the way it is supposed to be. We have them, we raise them and they grow into their own. Once the birth takes place, your child belongs to the world. You are, of course, responsible for nurturing, providing, loving and raising them, but they belong to the world. It will be their job to discover themselves and along that path they will discover their independence. So take this time to immerse yourself in the beauty of the life growing inside of you. When the baby moves, take that feeling in and appreciate the pure beauty and delight in the moment. Truly understand that you are a part of the miracle of life. It does not last long enough. There were moments after Katherine and Jes were born when I felt lonely and I realized that even though I was holding them in my arms, I was longing for them and that connection that we had for nine months. Cherish the moments and make them last while you prepare for the most surreal experience of your life. There is no greater gift and no grander moment than that moment, when by the grace of God, you become a Mother. It is really an overwhelming feeling of pure joy and deep unconditional love.

I envy the experience you are about to have. Treasure these moments and you will keep them deep inside your heart for a lifetime.

With love,

Aunt Sherry

3 comments:

Misty Holt said...

I would agree with you Aunt Sherry. When I see a new baby I often think of the first time I was made a mom. There is no other greater calling than being a mother. I wish that I could have enjoyed those moments, instead I too wished it to be over fast. Britt and Stephanie, please enjoy, you won't be pregnant forever, and I know right now you think that is wonderful news. But enjoy...

S said...

Ditto. It is so so true. I remember the last month thinking of the moment I would get to meet my little one and the excitement of sharing it with everyone. But after I had the baby, I too missed the connection you feel with them inside the womb. I missed them kicking me and moving around. It is something completely between you and your baby. Its like you have a little secret. They only know you and you already know them. That is something that can only be shared with mother and child. So do enjoy...And enjoy the moments with your spouse as shortly there will be THREE!!

Stefanie said...

Aunt She, I must say you are an amazing writer!! You really got me thinking how amazing this experience has been! As excited I am to meet this little on, I know I will never get this same experience again! It is crazy to think how quickly he will grow up. You really made me step back and remind myself to enjoy every moment of this pregnancy! As much as some of his kicks hurt...I love every minute of it!! Thank you so much for writing this...it really made my day!! :)

Love, Stefanie