My kids....My heart

My kids....My heart

Monday, December 22, 2008

Grateful

It is simply inconceivable to me that Christmas day is only three days away. As a child this day seemed to take forever to get here but as you get older it tends to come around much too fast. Over the years, you hear yourself say “it just does not feel like Christmas.” This year, in particular, that has been so true. It’s been a rough year. It’s been over two months since Wynn was laid off. He’s not the only one we know who has lost their job in this craziness. He actually drove twelve hours for what he thought would be 3 days of work. He’s been gone six days now and won’t get home until late on Christmas Eve. One year ago that would have seemed ludicrous. Now, we are thankful for the work. We talked on the phone for about an hour last night. We talked about how many people are going through such difficult times. Susie’s mom just passed away; his own mother just had a mini-stroke and is facing three more surgeries on her legs; Angie’s mother in-law is scheduled to have open-heart surgery; my friend’s brother just underwent quadruple bypass. The list could go on and on. During our conversation, my husband, the one that always brings me back to earth – said “You know we are really lucky.” That is not a thought that occurred to me lately, maybe because we have absolutely no idea when, how or where the next job will come from. And he reminds me that we are lucky! He is absolutely right. It’s easy to get caught up in the "poor me" syndrome until you look at those around you who are going through such emotional and financial hardships. I have said many times that life in the absence of tragedy is a good life. Saying it does not mean you always believe it.

So three days before Christmas I am attempting to make a drastic shift in my perception. The best way to feel the spirit of this season is to immerse yourself in gratitude. I have much to be grateful for: my parents & my one and only sister are still on this earth; my children are healthy, happy and kind individuals; my husband loves me and I love him - I made a pretty good decision twenty two years ago (it’s the gift that keeps giving); our family continues to grow as we have been blessed many times this year with the births of healthy, beautiful babies (Lord, thank you); my mornings are spent exercising my body and nourishing my spirit by spending time with my Aunt Kathy; Sunday dinners at Aunt Joyce’s are always delicious and filled with laughter, it’s a place where cousins continue to bond – not just one generation – but two- actually, make that three!

These are hard times, but they are also overflowing with love, friendship, family, good health, laughter and gratitude.

Lord – when I fail to remember, please remind me that I am:

Grateful. Thankful. Appreciative. Blessed. Fortunate and yes, Lucky.

1 comment:

Misty Holt said...

Thank you. Everytime you right something, I feel like you are writing it for others more than yourself. You have a lovely way to put life into perspective. I thank you for that. It is a God given talent that you have. Things will get better, remember this is only temporary.