My kids....My heart

My kids....My heart

Sunday, March 11, 2012

So how does one make the biggest impact in this life? You Love


‘Love is also a virtue representing all of human kindness, compassion, and affection; and "the unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another.’

So, how does one make the biggest impact in this life? You love. Plain and simple, I am certain there is no greater gift you can give. I have been reminded of that very fact in so many ways during the last few weeks and months. It is not that I did not know it before but sometimes we need gentle reminders to get us back on the right path and to remember the true purpose of our lives.

I have chronicled well my mother’s recent illness. Watching her possibly slip away from us had me scared to the very core of my being; it was a fear I had not ever known before. I will not soon forget the unnerving feel of the vibration of my own heart trembling within the walls of my chest. The absolute and unconditional love of her brothers, sisters, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, friends, my sister, father, children and husband provided me strength to survive that fear. I have no doubt I would have crumbled without them holding me together. Love, in truth, is what held us all together – loving each other was the only thing we knew to do.

When the most important events take place in our lives, wonderful or tragic~
love is what appears. In celebration and even in sorrow – love ALWAYS takes the front seat. I always make an effort to tell each and everyone in my life how truly blessed I am to be connected with them and how deeply I love them but if I have missed anyone – I say it here – loudly, clearly and with conviction, “I love you and am grateful daily for your love and the opportunity to love you in return.”

It is absolutely beautiful and amazing how love is aslo present in the absence of celebration and or sorrow. Because love is constant and at the root of our every day lives.

Obviously you are reading my blog, so you know I am a school secretary and on the surface that may sound like a pretty mediocre job that does not impact lives on a daily basis. I can tell you with absolute certainty that that is not true because it is not the way I approach my job. My job is not merely to push paperwork, schedule meetings, complete a hundred different crazy tasks at once or even do the morning announcements (although, those who work with me might say that it IS the highlight of my day♥ and I wouldn't disagree!). The most important thing I do is to approach each situation I encounter on a daily basis with a sentiment of love and respect for others. I wish I could say I did this one hundred percent of the time, I don’t – but it is always my intention. Within the past few weeks, we have encountered situations at school that could not be helped or healed by anything other than love. Tight hugs, large smiles, small conversation and simple words of encouragement were needed most and I’m fairly certain those things will not change a grade or increase a test score – but I’m even more certain they will never be forgotten by the child (or teacher) who received them.

I just read and am grateful for the beautiful and heartwarming blog from my dear sweet friend Vanessa Valenzuela who wrote,“There are people in your life – even outside of family – who you know with one hundred percent certainty that they love you. I am lucky enough to know that one of those people in my life is Sherry Stark.” Such beautiful words. I never want a day to pass that the people that I hold closest to my heart will ever question how important they are to me and how dearly I appreciate them being in my life. I know for sure that Vanessa understands how deeply I value our relationship.

I want to convey to every reader of this post ~ Never, ever assume the people you love know it. Never stop telling them or showing them with deeds how incredibly special they are to you and what their presence means in your life. There will be no “do-overs” so say it and show it now.

No comments: